Let’s face it- many campers can’t imagine living in the outdoors without a hammock. In fact, many will rather do away with other accessories than a hammock. This simple piece of equipment provides a nice and convenient surface to lie, nap, or sleep on. It’s also loved for its simplicity, lightweight, portability, comfort, and convenience. besides campers, the hammock is also popular with hikers, backpackers, scouts, hunters, and other adventure seekers.
Over the years, manufacturers have released different types of hammocks to suit the varied needs. Some are suited for not-so-heavy users while others can accommodate heavy campers. There are types that can withstand even the harshest weather while others aren’t very heavy-duty. Experts advise potential buyers not to purchase a product blindly as this is bound to undermine the functionality and satisfaction. And to help you in making the right decision, we decided to review the top 10 best camping hammocks in 2019.
How to Choose a Hammock
- Size: You need to choose a type that isn’t too short or too long. Rule of thumb is to add about 4 inches to your height. For instance, a 6ft tall person should go for a hammock measuring 6ft 4 inches.
- Width: Hammock widths range from 48 inches/ 4 feet to 102 inches/ 8.5 feet. Single hammocks accommodate a single user while a double hammock can also fit two people. It’s vital to ensure that it leaves enough room to stretch out.
- Suspension Systems: Hammocks are suspended by webbing straps, a pair of carabiners, nylon ropes, or synthetic tree slings. It’s important to go for a suspension that is firm, solid, flexible, and easy to adjust.
- Weight Capacity: Usually, the weight capacity of hammocks ranges from 150-500 pounds. It’s advisable to go for a product that can accommodate more weight rather than your exact weight. Please note that the weight capacity doesn’t take into account the pressure exerted by jumping on it.
- Hammock Weight: Hammocks can weigh as little as 6 pounds to as high as 20 pounds without the suspension system. This is influenced by the type of material, suspension system, width, and length. Longer and wider types weigh more than narrower and shorter versions.
- Insulation: A good hammock will keep you warm during the cold season and cool when it’s hot. Important features include material type, the breathability of the material, material thickness and design.
- Material: Generally, hammocks are made from nylon, polyester, and cotton. It’s necessary to choose an all rounded fabric that will keep you warm in cold weather, cool in hot weather, and comfortable. It should be lightweight, durable, easy to wash and maintain.
Other important features include bug protection, tarps, brand reputation, ergonomics, design, and elegance.
Best Camping Hammocks in 2019
10. WintMing Patent Camping Hammock with Mosquito NetGet it now on Amazon.com
As a camper, you will find this yellow hammock perfect for your camping needs. The lightweight unit is made from premium nylon that is both strong and resistant to the elements. It’s designed to accommodate up to 2 users and is supported via 4 carabineers, 2 stakes, and 2 ropes. Although it only weighs 3.5 pounds, this accessory can accommodate a weight of up to 440 pounds.
For easy storage and carrying, it easily folds into a small size and comes with a convenient carry bag. Its main pros are lightweight, easy to install and fold, portable and multi purpose. The con is that the support rods are not extra strong.
9. MsForce XL Double Camping HammockGet it now on Amazon.com
Limit your load and maximize the ground that you can cover with this tree hammock. Different from other Hammock, the MsForce Camping Hammock is created to be your hiking closest friend. If you need to relax, this is the ideal hammock for you, and when you require an additional layer of protection, we have you secured. It has a weight of 1.43 lbs. and is built with 6 loops; hence it can be transformed into a camping tent and tarp when nature calls.
Get two long tree straps (9.8′ on each), and you can hang your hammock at anyplace. What’s more, with their quick-release, cutting-edge design you can change your hammock into a hammock at any time
8. Out Topper Camping Hammock with Mosquito NetGet it now on Amazon.com
You and your partner will love napping, relaxing or sleeping on this Army Green hammock. Designed for up to 2 users weighing up to 330 pounds/ 150 kilograms, this nylon-made hammock is perfect for camping, backpacking, hiking, scouting and other outdoor activities. The quality fabric together with the nautical rope and carabineer provide good comfort and support, while the triple stitching guarantees you of longevity.
It measures 230 cm/ 91 inches in length and suits most people. The included mosquito net keeps bugs at bay whereas the easy-clean material makes wiping and cleaning easy. The positives include easy setup, quick drying, easy cleaning, lightweight and compact. The negative is that it may feel a little tight at the beginning.
7. SEGMART Easy Hanging Double HammockGet it now on Amazon.com
Measuring 2 meters wide and 3 meters long, this Violet/Lilac hammock is perfect for many outdoor activities including hiking, camping, fishing, scout groups, and backpacking. The nylon-made unit comes with gray nylon slings and is targeted at users weighing up to 600 pounds. The accessory also features heavy-duty aluminum-alloy carabiners that have a maximum weight capacity of 2500 pounds and adjustable straps.
Other than sleeping or lying down, the versatile accessory also doubles up as a blanket, swing chair, sunshade, and canopy. It scores well for quality construction, easy-to-adjust straps, good weight capacity, durability, strength, and portability. A few consumers state that the fabric is a bit thin.
6. Covacure Hammock Mosquito Nylon HammocksGet it now on Amazon.com
Coming in dimensions of 8feet/ 91inches/ 230cm, the Covacure hammock is suitable for most users. The double hammock is fit for up to two users whose weight doesn’t exceed 440 pounds. It’s made from quality 210T parachute nylon and comes with a carabiner and nautical rope that provides support and suspension. The smooth surface feels soft to the skin while the mosquito net keeps mosquitoes and other insects at bay.
It is dust-free for easy cleaning and provides good comfort thanks to the breathable material. The main positives include lightweight, easy to setup, compact, well-built, comfortable, and good support. It may be a bit short for very tall users.
5. Legit Camping Double HammockGet it now on Amazon.com
Make your camping, hiking, travel, or backpacking expedition more enjoyable and relaxing with this Khaki/Army Green hammock. Designed for two users, the 210T parachute nylon-made accessory can accommodate a weight of up to 400 pounds. It offers good suspension and supports courtesy of the tree-friendly straps, sturdy ropes, and steel carabiners.
Setting up and removal is easy thanks to its simple “wrap, snap, swing” design. Users praise it for being very comfortable, easy to setup, long-lasting, and high quality. A few complaints about the thin material have been noted.
4. Bear Butt Double Parachute HammockGet it now on Amazon.com
The Bear Butt hammock measures 10 feet long, 6 feet wide and can accommodate up to 2 users at the same time. It’s constructed from premium 75D nylon Taffeta that is renowned for high strength and durability. Together with the two 10 foot long tactical-grade ropes and 2 carabineers, the Lime Green / Gray hammock can support weights up to 500 pounds.
It’s among the easiest to setup thanks to the simple design while the ultra smooth surface feels soft on the skin. The main pros include solid stitching, quality material, easy setup, and affordability. The notable con is the relatively small “beaners’.
3. Winner Outfitters Double Camping HammockGet it now on Amazon.com
The Winner Outfitters hammock is designed for campers, hikers, backpackers, scouts groups, and other travelers. it comes in Dark Green/Green color and measures 118 inches long, 78 inches wide. The accessory is made out of 210T parachute nylon fabric and has a maximum weight capacity of 500 pounds. The light fabric, carabineers, strips, and ropes make carrying it easy whereas the simple design makes setting up and disassembly simple and easy.
Its notable advantages include solid carabineers, sturdy straps and ropes, lightweight, easy to set up, and long-lasting. The disadvantage is that the surface isn’t ultra smooth.
2. Wise Owl Outfitters Single & Double Camping HammockGet it now on Amazon.com
Available in Navy Blue and Light Blue, this hammock by Wise Owl Outfitters is targeted at campers, hikers, hunters, scouts, backpackers and other outdoor adventurers. Like other top products, it’s also made from high-quality 210T parachute nylon fabric. The heavy-duty accessory can tolerate the harsh outdoors and daily use and comes in a user-friendly design.
This makes setting up easy and convenient. The decent width and length provide sufficient room for stretching and moving around. It’s a good choice because of the strong stitching, good construction, tough material, easy assembly and good comfort. The main drawback is the ropes, which isn’t very long.
1. Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO) HammockGet it now on Amazon.com
The pole position goes to the ENO camping hammock. Measuring 9ft 4 inches long and 6 foot 2 inches wide, this black double hammock will comfortably support two users. It’s made from 70D high-strength nylon taffeta fabric and can support a weight of up to 400 pounds. The easy-to-fold unit shrinks to a small size of 5 x 5 inches for easy carrying and storage.
Support and suspension are provided by the nautical grade line, aluminum wire gate carabineer, and stainless steel snap lines. Thanks to the quick-drying nylon, the hammock can be washed and used within a short time. Its positives are solid carabineers, quality fabric, easy installation, and good comfort. The negative is it lacks straps.
There goes our review on the top 10 best camping hammocks in 2019. The truth is that it was not “a walk in the park” and was more like “taking the candy from the baby.” Nonetheless, we managed to pick out the very best that the market is offering. The listed products come in high quality, are made from sturdy materials, are suitable for different users and environment, and last for a long time.
Furthermore, the accessories are sturdily built, lightweight, portable, and offer good support and comfort. Any user, whether a first-timer, a camper, hiker, scout, backpacker, or seasoned adventurer will find any of the above-listed hammocks worth the time and money.