Sitting outside with friends or family while staring at the starry skies or telling stories is a fun activity. In fact, it plays a vital role in making the camping, hiking, hunting, or fishing expedition worthwhile. However, without a proper lantern, you may find yourself tripping over obstacles, getting lost in the woods, or struggling to recognize faces. This is why you need to invest in the best lantern. But with many items on offer, which one should you go for? Finding an answer to this question isn’t easy even for experienced campers.
This is due to the many brands and products, cutthroat competition among the sellers, ever-changing trends, and lack of sufficient information and acknowledge. This review on the top 10 best camping lanterns will help you make a wiser decision in the shortest time possible. But before proceeding, why don’t we look at the key features of a good product?
What to look for in a camping Lantern
Before spending your money, you should pay attention to the following things:
- Brightness: this is normally defined in lumens and the higher the number the brighter the lantern. In some types, it’s measured from the outside while in others outside. It is therefore important to use the same basis.
- Energy-efficiency: The brighter the lamp, the more energy it consumes. Usually, the lumens range from 40 to 700. For normal camping needs, lamps rated around 100-150, lumens are okay.
- Design: The shape of the lantern influences the amount of brightness or lumens. It’s important to choose a type that has a clear design with minimal obstruction to light.
- Area of Use: Light inside a tent doesn’t have to be as bright as that outside the tent. 100 lms is sufficient for inside, 200 is okay for outside, while a 300 lumen or higher covers a larger area.
- Size & Weight: Usually, the size and weight of the lantern are proportional to the light output. The brighter it is, the larger and heavier it is. It’s crucial to strike balance between weight & size and light quality.
- Water Resistance: International Protection Markings (IPX) range from 0 to 8. IPX0 has no water resistance while IPX8 is the most water-resistant. IPX4 offers good resistance to water splashes but isn’t designed for very wet conditions or submerging in water. IPX 8 can be submerged up to 3 meters and will still be okay.
Other important things are batteries, run time, easy harnessing, variable brightness, collapsibility, and ability to power other accessories.
Best Camping Lanterns in 2018
- 10. E-TRENDS Portable LED lantern
- 9. Greyn 2-Pack GR LED Camping Lanterns
- 8. Vivii 4 Pack 30 LED Camping Lantern
- 7. Gold Armour 4 Pack LED Lantern
- 6. Gold Armour Brightest LED Camping Lantern
- 5. Active Research Water Resistant LED Lantern Portable 30 LED
- 4. MalloMe 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern
- 3. Etekcity 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
- 2. Etekcity 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern (Black, Collapsible)
- 1. Vont Bright 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
10. E-TRENDS Portable LED lantern
Camping, hiking, fishing, and other expedition will be more exciting with this lantern. Coming in a 2-pack, this red unit delivers quality brightness and is powered by 6 AAA batteries. The small and portable unit is easy to carry around and won’t bog you down due to weight. It’s made from superior and safe materials and comes in an innovative design and hook for easy hanging and carrying.
The sturdily built camping accessory is waterproof and can resist water splashes and wet conditions. On the maximum brightness setting, it emits up to 150 lumens of brightness. The key pros are portable, lightweight, compact, and good lighting. It, however, isn’t very big.
9. Greyn 2-Pack GR LED Camping Lanterns
With this blue lantern, hunting, camping, fishing and other expeditions will be more ‘Lit.” Made from sturdy material and coming in a practical design, this LED lantern is perfect for indoor and outdoor use. It comes in a 2 pack and is powered via 3 AAA batteries.
Due to its small size and compact design, it doesn’t occupy lots of space and is also easy to carry around. It features 3 light modes to suit different needs and comes with a user-friendly heavy-duty hanging hook. People buy it because it’s very portable, well-built, emits decent lighting, and is easy to use. The only concern is the not-so big hanging hook.
8. Vivii 4 Pack 30 LED Camping Lantern
This is certainly one of the powerful camping lanterns on the market. It prides on 30 LEDs that produce high quality and bright light. It runs on 12 AA batteries that offer up to 12 hours of lighting. Made from top-quality military-grade plastic, this unit can withstand falls, bangs, bumping and the elements.
It features a water-resistant construction for use both indoors and outdoors. The handmade unit comes with several safety features including childproofing and can easily be folded for better carrying or storage. Its positives are the great price, good portability, great construction, easy folding, and space-saving nature. The downside is that the batteries aren’t included.
7. Gold Armour 4 Pack LED Lantern
This multi-colored LED lantern is great for camping, fishing, hiking, hurricanes, emergencies and other uses. It comes in a 4-pack and delivers up to 135 lumens of brightness courtesy of the 30 LED bulbs. Despite the quality light, the low-powered bulbs consume minimal energy and should last for a long time.
The lantern is made from military grade ABS plastic and meets ROHS and CE standards. It’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use and is water-resistant. Some of its advantages are super lightweight, good brightness, easy to collapse, durable and compact. Unfortunately, this unit doesn’t come with batteries.
6. Gold Armour Brightest LED Camping Lantern
Emitting up to 350 lumens, this black lantern is the most powerful on our review. This is achieved via the 30 LED bulbs that work well in both cold and hot environments. The high-quality military-grade plastic material is tolerant to regular use, banging, knocking, falling and the elements as well.
It comes in an advanced easy collapse design for easy storage and carrying and is also water resistant. The positives of this lantern are high quality, sturdy construction, lightweight, quality lighting, portable and durable.
5. Active Research Water Resistant LED Lantern Portable 30 LED
This Led lantern by Active Research features 30 powerful LED lights and is perfect for indoor and outdoor use. It’s constructed using sturdy materials to resist the outdoors and rough handling. The military-grade plastic is revered for its strength and durability while the versatile and innovative design allows it to be used in many situations including camping, hiking, hurricanes, fishing, hiking, emergencies and more.
It provides 360-degrees of lighting and comes in a 4-pack for added convenience. In addition to quality construction, lightweight, and portability, this Led lantern is liked for its good water resistance and simplicity. A few users, however, say that it’s not very waterproof.
4. MalloMe 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern
Able to emit light at a 360-degree angle, this portable LED lantern should suit you during your camping, hiking, fishing and other situations. Like other top products, it’s made from sturdy Military-grade ABS plastic to resist the outdoors and boasts of energy-efficient but powerful LED lights.
It can produce up to 146 lumens of brightness and this is more than adequate for most day-to-day activity. And considering it’s approved by ROHS and CE, you are assured of reliability and longevity. Consumers love the long-lasting LEDs, good construction, easy operation, and collapsible design. Some claim that it doesn’t feature O-rings for proper sealing of moisture.
3. Etekcity 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
Etekcity isn’t a stranger when it comes to camping lantern. They boast of many varieties in the market but this black unit is one of their top sellers. It’s constructed from sturdy plastic for long life and comes in a collapsible design for easy carrying or storage. The 30 powered LEDs produce decent lighting but keep the energy consumption on a low.
Powered by 6 AA batteries, this lantern can produce continuous lighting for as many as 12 hours and offers the illumination in a 360-degree angle. The lantern’s positives include quality light, easy to operate, lightweight, compact and portability. The negative is that it’s a little small.
2. Etekcity 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern (Black, Collapsible)
Also from Etekcity is this Led camping lantern. It comes in a 4-pack and features 30 individual bulbs. Like most of its stable mates and top rivals, it’s also made using tough military-grade ABS plastic. This assures the user of reliability, efficiency, and durability while the compact and lightweight makes handling and carrying convenient.
The low energy-consuming lantern offers 360-degrees of illumination and comes in a simple and portable design. The key pros are ultra brightness, high quality, simple operation, and long lasting. Some consumers nonetheless say it’s a tad bit small compared to some of its rivals.
1. Vont Bright 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
Topping our review is this black camping lantern from the Vont brand. It comes in a 2-pack and is designed for outdoor and indoor use. The small lantern is made from premium military grade plastic for reliability and longevity. It boasts of 30 powerful and energy-saving LED bulbs and comes with a durable battery that ensures you have good illumination even in the darkest setting.
And considering it can deliver as many as 12 hours of sufficient lighting, you are unlikely to find yourself in the dark. The lantern’s main positives include superior construction, simplicity, compact and lightweight, and durable. The negative is it misses an On/Off switch.
The lantern is a must have for any serious camper, hiker, hunter, or any other person who loves the outdoors. It improves the lighting, allows you to see where you are going, and can also help power other devices. You will find different types in the market but not all guarantee you of maximum satisfaction. You may also spend lots of time and effort researching and compare different products but still buy a poor product.
To save you the burden or risk of purchasing the wrong product, we have analyzed the current market and have identified the top 10 best camping lanterns in 2018. With any of the lanterns, you not only enjoy quality lighting but will have a memorable experience.