Sitting outside with friends or family while staring at the starry skies or telling stories is a fun activity. In fact, it plays a vital role in making the camping, hiking, hunting, or fishing expedition worthwhile. However, without a proper lantern, you may find yourself tripping over obstacles, getting lost in the woods, or struggling to recognize faces. This is why you need to invest in the best lantern. But with many items on offer, which one should you go for? Finding an answer to this question isn’t easy even for experienced campers.
This is due to the many brands and products, cutthroat competition among the sellers, ever-changing trends, and lack of sufficient information and acknowledge. This review on the top 10 best camping lanterns will help you make a wiser decision in the shortest time possible. But before proceeding, why don’t we look at the key features of a good product?
What to look for in a camping Lantern
Before spending your money, you should pay attention to the following things:
- Brightness: this is normally defined in lumens and the higher the number the brighter the lantern. In some types, it’s measured from the outside while in others outside. It is therefore important to use the same basis.
- Energy-efficiency: The brighter the lamp, the more energy it consumes. Usually, the lumens range from 40 to 700. For normal camping needs, lamps rated around 100-150, lumens are okay.
- Design: The shape of the lantern influences the amount of brightness or lumens. It’s important to choose a type that has a clear design with minimal obstruction to light.
- Area of Use: Light inside a tent doesn’t have to be as bright as that outside the tent. 100 lms is sufficient for inside, 200 is okay for outside, while a 300 lumen or higher covers a larger area.
- Size & Weight: Usually, the size and weight of the lantern are proportional to the light output. The brighter it is, the larger and heavier it is. It’s crucial to strike balance between weight & size and light quality.
- Water Resistance: International Protection Markings (IPX) range from 0 to 8. IPX0 has no water resistance while IPX8 is the most water-resistant. IPX4 offers good resistance to water splashes but isn’t designed for very wet conditions or submerging in water. IPX 8 can be submerged up to 3 meters and will still be okay.
Other important things are batteries, run time, easy harnessing, variable brightness, collapsibility, and ability to power other accessories.
Best Camping Lanterns in 2019
10. Sinvitron LED Rechargeable 5 Light Modes Camping Lantern
By: SinvitronCheck price on Amazon
This is one of the top-rated camping lanterns on the market that is fit for outdoor as well as indoor use. It features five lighting modes, and you can choose between red SOS, cool white, warm white, natural white, and red strobe. Other than that, it produces 196lm ultra-bright light, and 6400mAh high capacity power bank powers it. Ideally, this camping lantern comes equipped with a Micro USB charging cable that ensures quick charging experience.
Constructed with military-grade materials, this makes it be IP65 waterproof and durable. The Magnet base enables you to stick this lantern on the metal surface. Above all, this camping lanterns has a lightweight and mini-size design; thus, you can take it anywhere with ease.
- Ultra-bright & low consumption
- 6400mah high capacity power bank included
- Ip65 waterproof camping lights
- Magnet base & portable
9. Internova 1000 LED 360 Arc Lighting Camping Lantern
By: InternovaCheck price on Amazon
The brightness produced on the Internova 1000 LED Camping Lantern is brilliant enough to illuminate a garage, shelter, boat or either caravan. Unlike other camping lanterns, this Camping Lantern is designed for durability, stability, and water-resistance. It will give five full hours of non-stop lighting making it ideal for hurricane supplies. You can choose between the red LED’s for stargazing at night, brilliant white for ultimate brightness or built-in red SOS function to keep you safe during an emergency.
The camping light is portable and lightweight and comes with an ergonomic rubber top handle that you can comfortably hold with your hands. This Lantern is fit for hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, emergencies, and more.
- Has brilliant 1000 maximum lumens
- Lightweight and portable
- Designed for stability and water-resistance
- 360 degrees arc lighting
- Ergonomic rubber top handle
8. EZORKAS 2 Pack Rechargeable Hiking Camping Lanterns
By: EZORKASCheck price on Amazon
Want the best camping lantern for outdoor use? If so, the EZORKAS here could be the one to consider. It provides super bright light that illuminates 360 degrees to meet large area brightness. What’s more, it features four lighting modes to select the one ideal for you. This Camping Lantern is powered by built-in rechargeable 18650 battery, and you can also use 3*AA batteries. Besides, it is water-resistant because it is made of ABS military material and COB bulb that adapts to all kinds of rainstorm weather and severe hurricane.
The camping lanterns has a lightweight and novel design; thus, you can easily carry it with your backpack. Lastly, the manufacturers provide a worry-free 18 months warranty.
- Rechargeable and long-lasting
- 360 degrees coverage lighting
- Compact lamp body that is durable and water-resistant
- Collapsible design and Lightweight
7. LE Rechargeable 5 Light Modes LED 1000LM Camping Lantern
By: LECheck price on Amazon
For enhanced nighttime vision, LE Camping Lantern contains CREE T6 led light that will provide you with five light modes and 1000 lumens brightness. This makes it ideal for bicycling, fishing, jogging, camping, running, repairing a car, etc. Ideally, this Lantern is waterproof and lightweight, making it easy for even a child to use it. The Camping Lantern comes with 3600mAh power bank that you can also use it for charging your smartphone and mobile devices during the time of emergency.
This Camping Lantern is sturdily built for any outdoor use and will bear the rough handling, vibration, shocks, the elements and more. Lastly, the manufacturer offers a two-year warranty.
- 1000 lumens brightness and five light modes
- Rechargeable and 3600mah power bank
- Waterproof and lightweight
- Two-year warranty
6. Blazin’ Bison Brightest 500 Lumen LED Camping Lantern
By: Blazin’ BisonCheck price on Amazon
Whenever you are camping or hiking, you need proper lighting, especially during the night. With this Blazin’ Bison Camping Lantern, you are assured of bright light that covers a large area. This Lantern can produce up to 500 lumens while light that includes 360 degrees; thus, it will light up the entire place. In addition to that, this unit is lightweight and portable, making it easy to carry the light with you. It is powered by 3 D batteries and will last for a long time.
The Lantern is made with professional-grade Water-resistant plastic and rubber that will withstand rough handling. Furthermore, it comes with “S” hook allowing you to hang on a tent loop or any other place.
- Portable and Lightweight
- Ultra-bright with 500 lumen
- Durable and rugged
- Provide 360 degrees of soft illumination
5. E-TRENDS Portable LED lantern
By: E-TRENDSCheck price on Amazon
Camping, hiking, fishing, and other expedition will be more exciting with this lantern. Coming in a 2-pack, this red unit delivers quality brightness and is powered by 6 AAA batteries. The small and portable unit is easy to carry around and won’t bog you down due to weight. It’s made from superior and safe materials and comes in innovative design and hook for easy hanging and carrying.
The sturdily built camping accessory is waterproof and can resist water splashes and wet conditions. On the maximum brightness setting, it emits up to 150 lumens of brightness. The key pros are portable, lightweight, compact, and good lighting. It, however, isn’t very big.
4. MalloMe 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern
By: MalloMeCheck price on Amazon
Able to emit light at a 360-degree angle, this portable LED lantern should suit you during your camping, hiking, fishing and other situations. Like other top products, it’s made from sturdy Military-grade ABS plastic to resist the outdoors and boasts of energy-efficient but powerful LED lights.
It can produce up to 146 lumens of brightness and this is more than adequate for most day-to-day activity. And considering it’s approved by ROHS and CE, you are assured of reliability and longevity. Consumers love the long-lasting LEDs, good construction, easy operation, and collapsible design. Some claim that it doesn’t feature O-rings for proper sealing of moisture.
3. Etekcity 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
By: EtekcityCheck price on Amazon
Etekcity isn’t a stranger when it comes to camping lantern. They boast of many varieties in the market but this black unit is one of their top sellers. It’s constructed from sturdy plastic for long life and comes in a collapsible design for easy carrying or storage. The 30 powered LEDs produce decent lighting but keep the energy consumption on a low.
Powered by 6 AA batteries, this lantern can produce continuous lighting for as many as 12 hours and offers the illumination in a 360-degree angle. The lantern’s positives include quality light, easy to operate, lightweight, compact and portability. The negative is that it’s a little small.
2. Etekcity 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern
By: EtekcityCheck price on Amazon
Also from Etekcity is this Led camping lantern. It comes in a 4-pack and features 30 individual bulbs. Like most of its stablemates and top rivals, it’s also made using tough military-grade ABS plastic. This assures the user of reliability, efficiency, and durability while the compact and lightweight makes handling and carrying convenient.
The low energy-consuming lantern offers 360-degrees of illumination and comes in a simple and portable design. The key pros are ultra brightness, high quality, simple operation, and long-lasting. Some consumers nonetheless say it’s a tad bit small compared to some of its rivals.
1. Vont Bright 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
By: VontCheck price on Amazon
Topping our review is this black camping lantern from the Vont brand. It comes in a 2-pack and is designed for outdoor and indoor use. The small lantern is made from premium military-grade plastic for reliability and longevity. It boasts of 30 powerful and energy-saving LED bulbs and comes with a durable battery that ensures you have good illumination even in the darkest setting.
And considering it can deliver as many as 12 hours of sufficient lighting, you are unlikely to find yourself in the dark. The lantern’s main positives include superior construction, simplicity, compact and lightweight, and durable. The negative is it misses an On/Off switch.
The lantern is a must-have for any serious camper, hiker, hunter, or any other person who loves the outdoors. It improves the lighting, allows you to see where you are going, and can also help power other devices. You will find different types in the market but not all guarantee you of maximum satisfaction. You may also spend lots of time and effort researching and compare different products but still buy a poor product.
To save you the burden or risk of purchasing the wrong product, we have analyzed the current market and have identified the top 10 best camping lanterns in 2019. With any of the lanterns, you not only enjoy quality lighting but will have a memorable experience.