The chef knife is a must for anyone looking for the best experience in the kitchen whether at home, restaurant, hotel, or any other place. This handy accessory serves many purposes including chopping, slicing, dicing and more. However, all chef knives aren’t made in the same way. While some will require minimal effort to make the perfect cut others will be a bit challenging to use.
Some knives will maintain the sharp edge for a long time even in demanding kitchens while others will barely last a few cuts before needing sharpening. These are but a few of the reasons that made us search for the 10 best chef knives in the market. But before we begin the countdown how about we look at the features of a good knife?
Factors to Consider When Searching for the Right Knife
- Weight: A good knife comes with just the right weight-not too light or too heavy. A heavy knife may be difficult to handle while a light one requires more effort.
- Material: The blade should be made from strong material that retains its sharpness, elegance and doesn’t tarnish or rust. Stainless steel is one of the commonest materials.
- Design: Some people prefer broad knives while others opt for slim ones. The suitability of the knife is determined by the task at hand as well as personal preference.
- Craftsmanship: The appropriate knife will be firm, tight, the handles will be soft and the blade will be well-honed.
- Durability: The best knife can handle demanding tasks and will last for a long time. The blade will be firmly fixed inside the handle and won’t lose its sharpness. Soft steel is loved for its ease of sharpening while hard steel is preferred since it doesn’t lose its edge easily.
Best Chef Knives in 2019
- 10. DALSTRONG Chef Knife
- 9. ZELITE INFINITY 8-inch Chef’s Knife
- 8. J.A HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL Chef’s Knife
- 7. Global G-2 Chef’s Knife
- 6. Shun DM0706 Classic Chef’s Knife
- 5. Wusthof Classic Chef’s Knife
- 4. Victorinox Swiss Classic Chef’s Knife
- 3. Kitchen+ Home Chef’s Knife
- 2. Victorinox 47521 Chef’s Knife
- 1. Victorinox Fibrox Chef’s Knife
10. DALSTRONG Chef Knife
This Chef’s knife comes in award winning design and has proven to be reliable in the home and commercial application. It’s made from famed German high-carbon steel and measures 8 inches in length.
It features a razor-sharp edge that slices, dices, chops, or minces and consists of a full tang that is triple riveted to the black Pakkawood handle. The hand polished edge offers the finest cuts and creates minimal resistance. The knife nonetheless is a bit weighty compared to others in its class.
9. ZELITE INFINITY 8-inch Chef’s Knife
This 8-inch knife is not only versatile and elegant but also assures you of a good cutting, chopping or slicing experience. The blade is made from Japanese VG10 steel clad with 67 high-carbon stainless steel layer.
The razor-sharp edge has excellent edge retention and is resistant to corrosion and stains. It features a full tang that provides a solid hold and boosts comfort. The knife’s price is nonetheless slightly higher than other featured knives.
8. J.A HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL Chef’s Knife
This classic 8-inch chef’s knife is suitable for dicing, cutting, chopping, mincing, slicing and much more. The multipurpose knife is made out of high-carbon drop forged stainless steel which is stronger and more durable than the ordinary stainless steel.
It will also retain its sharp edge for much longer and doesn’t corrode, stain or rust. The full tang knife is riveted to the handle for a firm grip. Unfortunately, the handle feels a bit short especially on long hands.
7. Global G-2 Chef’s Knife
Measuring 8 inches long and made from high-tech vanadium/molybdenum stainless steel, the Global G-2 chef’s knife is ideal for many applications.
The light and strong knife retains its edge pretty well and doesn’t require frequent re-sharpening. And to provide a comfortable and firm grip, the knife comes with a molded stainless steel handle. Nevertheless, the Global G-2 isn’t very fit for professional or demanding tasks.
6. Shun DM0706 Classic Chef’s Knife
This 8-inch classic chef knife is very versatile and is used for slicing, chopping, dicing, cutting, mincing and other applications. It’s made from sturdy VG-10 stainless steel and features a black laminated D-shaped handle made from comfortable and smooth Pakkawood.
To give its classic Damascus steel appearance, the knife features a patterned and layered surface. But despite having 32 high-carbon stainless steel layers, the blade seems rather soft.
5. Wusthof Classic Chef’s Knife
This 8-inch chef’s knife by Wusthof measures 8 inches long and is made from forged high-carbon stainless steel. The strong and long-lasting knife features a finger guard on the handle for better stability and safety.
Its heavy blade comes with a razor-sharp edge that easily cuts different food items without losing its sharpness. Some people claim that the polypropylene handle may start cracking after extended use.
4. Victorinox Swiss Classic Chef’s Knife
This 8-inch Swiss classic knife by Victorinox follows the same high standards set by Switzerland master cutlers. It’s made from high-grade stainless steel and comes with an ultra sharp edge while the ergonomic Fibrox handle provides good comfort and stability during use.
The National Sanitary Foundation certified knife is user-friendly, hygienic, easy to clean and maintain.
3. Kitchen+ Home Chef’s Knife
Although commonly referred to as a Sushi Knife, this culinary knife also doubles up as a chef’s knife. The professional knife is lightweight and comes with an ultra-sharp edge for cutting the thinnest sushi, meat, vegetables, fruits and much more.
The highly-polished stainless steel blade is not only rust and tarnish-resistant but also easy to wipe or clean. The only issue with this knife is the odd meeting point between the blades and handles that makes cleaning a bit challenging.
2. Victorinox 47521 Chef’s Knife
The 10-inch 47521 Chef’s knife is relatively light and is perfect for chopping, slicing, dicing and mincing. Possibility of it rusting, corroding or tarnishing is unlikely as it is made from high-grade stainless steel.
The black Fibrox handle provides a firm grip and is also very comfortable and won’t chip or crack even when dropped. The fairly-long knife is unfortunately not very ideal for small hands.
1. Victorinox Fibrox Chef’s Knife
This 8-inch straight edge knife by Victorinox is the best-of-the best and is revered for retaining its sharp edge for long, good size & weight, and elegant styling. It’s crafted from sturdy stainless steel and the conical ground blade can easily cut through different things without losing its sharpness.
It features a comfortable, nonslip and ergonomic handle but is a bit pricey compared to other alternatives.
The featured knives are well-designed and will serve different functions in the kitchen. They are made from quality stainless steel and will maintain their sharpness for long. The knives come with ergonomic handles that is not only comfortable and smooth to handle but are unlikely to slip even when wet. And to assure you of long service, the different knives come with a solid and firm blade and handle.
If you love cooking or would like to improve the experience, you will find the 10 best chef knives 2018 review worth your time and effort. All you need is identifying a knife from the listed items.