Cycling is a popular activity that has been growing in popularity. Some people engage in it for recreational purpose, others as a fun activity, while there are those who do it as a competitive sport. Whichever your reason for cycling, you need to wear the right short.
A poor type will not only make you feel uncomfortable, or affect your performance, but can also cause friction and even harm your skin. Poor choices include a type that is too light, too thick, too short, or too long. The material, padding, seam, design, and material should also be right. This review looks at the key features of a good product and summarizes the top 10 best cycling shorts for men in 2017.
Cycling Shorts- Buying Guide
The following are some of the features to focus on when planning to buy men’s cycling shorts:
- Material: Cycling puts a lot of strain on the material especially in the groin region. A good material will be more tolerant to wear and strain but still offer good comfort and aeration. Nylon, Lycra, Polyester, and Elastane are among the common materials.
- Design: The shorts come in varied designs to suit the riding style, terrain, individual preference, emerging trends and more. It pays to first understand all these before settling on a product.
- Comfort: A good pair of cycling shorts will fit comfortably and won’t feel too tight or too loose. It also won’t ride up or lose shape due to regular use and washing.
- Chamois: This is the padded section on the shorts that protects your midsection from the saddle. It shouldn’t be too thin such that it offers little protection or too thick that it makes you uncomfortable.
- Size: Always choose the right size depending on your hip and waist size. It’s important to note that the sizes may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and its advised to seek professional help.
- UV protection: cycling exposes you to the harmful UV rays from the sun. A good short will protect you from the effects and should have at least UV 50 plus protection.
Best Cycling Shorts for Men in 2017
- 10. Sportneer Men’s Cycling Shorts
- 9. Beroy Cycling Men’s Short
- 8. NOOYME Men’s Cycling Shorts
- 7. Sponeed Men’s Cycling Shorts
- 6. 4ucycling Cycling Short
- 5. Canari Cyclewear Cycling Short
- 4. SANTIC Cycling Men’s Shorts
- 3. Ohuhu Men’s Cycling Shorts
- 2. Pearl iZUMi Quest Cycling Short
- 1. Baleaf Men’s Cycling Shorts
10. Sportneer Men’s Cycling Shorts
Whether riding for fun, recreation, or competitive sports, you will find this Sportneer shorts a good option. It comes in a simple and effective design that boosts comfort and minimizes chaffing. This is credited to the 82% Polyamide and 18% Spandex.
It comes with UPF 50+ protection to safeguard you against UV while the 4D pad and Coolmax fiber keep you cool and minimize sweating. It’s among the best because of its anti-slip nature, adheres well to the body, and won’t make you feel sweaty or stuffy. Its drawbacks are it feels tight when worn while new and the padding is a bit thin.
9. Beroy Cycling Men’s Short
The Beroy Custom cycling shorts are no strangers in top reviews. They occupy the first slot for many reasons but the following are the most obvious. They are strong courtesy of the 82.4 % polyester and 17.6% spandex. With a weight of 200g/m2, they are light and offer good sweat absorption and breath ability.
Also, the 3D gel padding is not only comfortable but also protective. Other notable advantages include good density (80kg/m3), strong hems, doesn’t ride and are easy to wash. According to some people, the spandex is moderately thin, there is no elastic on the leg opening, and can be a bit see through for people with very large thighs.
8. NOOYME Men’s Cycling Shorts
Made from a fabric consisting of 80% Polyamide and 20% Spandex, this man cycling shorts by NOOYME are worth a thought. It’s superior fabric and design has good sweat absorption and encourages good air circulation.
The Chamois comes in a 3D structure, is comfortable and enhances body heat thermoregulation. Its main positives are no skin irritation, non-slip, well-made, and affordable. Unfortunately, there are complaints about the pad being a bit large and the material being fairly thin.
7. Sponeed Men’s Cycling Shorts
The Sponeed cycling shorts come in different sizes to suit various users. All are however made from 80% Polyester and 20% Lycra. This combination makes them smooth, soft and elastic at the same time. The Chamois consist of 4D gel pad that is known for its comfort and durability.
And to improve air circulation and reduce sweating, the shorts come in an easy-breathe design. The Sponeed cycling shorts are liked for their comfort, seamless nature, quick drying, and don’t ride up. They, unfortunately, are very light, a bit long especially for shorter users, a can be affected by bleach.
6. 4ucycling Cycling Short
The 4Uclying short is suitable for both men and women. It features a smooth, elastic and breathable polyester fabric. Some sections are padded by the revolutionary 3D silicone gel that retains its density and integrity even under extreme conditions.
The sweat-resistant polyester quickly absorbs sweat and improves air circulation thus reducing unnecessary sweating. Its advantages include good padding, quality fabric, and feel smooth on the skin. Its negatives are; the fabric is a bit light, the shorts feel somewhat tight when new, and it’s not the cheapest product on our review.
5. Canari Cyclewear Cycling Short
Enjoy cycling freedom and by wearing the Canari Cyclewear men’s short. They are made of 82% nylon, 18% spandex, and come is an 8-panel anatomical design. To boost your comfort and minimize injury while riding or seating on the saddle, the shorts are padded with Velo gel.
They can be washed by hand, washing machine, and hung dried. You should consider these shorts because they are well made, comfortable, have good shock absorption, and durable. On the contrary, the padding is somewhat thin, may feel loose for very slender people, and is not bleach-friendly.
4. SANTIC Cycling Men’s Shorts
Made from 82% nylon and 18% Lycra and spandex, the SANTIC cycling shorts are targeted at men who want the best riding experience. The short features a seamless design and smooth surface that minimizes friction or chafe. It comes with superior 12-panel anatomic styling and breathable mesh for comfort whereas the double 4D Coolmax pad prevents bacteria.
It’s rated at UPF 50+ and should offer good protection against the harmful sun rays. It’s a good choice because; it’s well-made, comfortable, well-priced, and easy to wear. Some shoppers, however, bash it because of being somewhat tight around the thighs when new, while others claim that it may feel a bit loose.
3. Ohuhu Men’s Cycling Shorts
With 5 sizes to choose from (XXXL, XXL, XL, L, and M), the Ohuhu cycling short is suitable for any man. It’s made from a blend of polyester and spandex while the Chamois consists of a 3D silica gel pad.
The shorts are fairly light and weigh approximately 160 grams. The fabric, padding, and mesh design all contribute to making the short comfortable and breathable. While it feels sturdy, light, and looks stylish, these cycling shorts aren’t very long and the padding isn’t very thick.
2. Pearl iZUMi Quest Cycling Short
Pearl iZUMi men’s cycling short is made from 86% nylon, 14% spandex and is suitable for both inexperienced and experienced users. The superior fabric comes in a 6-panel anatomic style and offers chafe-free comfort.
It comes in a stretchy design that gives a nice grip without feeling too tight. It also comes with UPF 50+ protection against UV rays and tour 3D Chamois. It’s chosen by many people because it’s very comfort, good looking, and doesn’t ride up. However, the waist is a little snug according to some people, and isn’t very effective for very long rides.
1. Baleaf Men’s Cycling Shorts
Riding on your own, with your spouse, family or teammates will be more convenient when wearing this cycling short. They are made from 90% polyester and 10% spandex that give it good elasticity, comfort, and durability.
The thin material is breathable and this enhances comfort and performance while the 3D pad protects your body. And to reduce chafing, the shorts consist of flat seams. Attractive design, good comfort, and durability are the reasons it makes it to our list. It could have ranked higher if the padding covered a larger area and wasn’t too thin.
As a cyclist, you should find this top 10 best cycling shorts for men in 2017 review a good guide for your next shorts. We rounded the best products and carefully picked the best-of-the-best.
When wearing them, cases of feeling uncomfortable, your skin chaffing, aches in the groin area due to the hard saddle, or the shorts riding up will be a thing of the past. You also don’t have to worry about them shrinking or expanding over time and wearing out too soon.